This is my 100th post on Musical Me, happening on the five month anniversary of the blog’s creation. To mark the moment, I’ve finally decided to come out about this project, so welcome to you!
I do not blog about blogging – this is a first. But on the occasion of my 100th post, retrospection feels appropriate. If you haven’t read About My Blog, that’s the bit to which I referred as I undertook this appraisal. You might also consider reading my first post.
In addition to the narcissistic indulgence component common to all blogs (know thyself!), I started Musical Me as a way to be accountable to my desire to play the violin, to re-ignite the musical passion of my youth, and to explore what musical literacy will do for my brain. An ulterior but quite strong motive was a desire to be more disciplined and focused in my writing. Let’s see how I’ve done:
Playing the Violin
- I have started playing the violin again.
- I have a developing relationship with a teacher that is working out very well.
- I have unexpectedly come into an instrument for which I am deeply grateful – my father-in-law’s 87 year-old instrument.
- I am cultivating an appreciation for world class violin music, and am especially enamored of violin concertos.
- I feel tethered to great players by our shared pursuit.
Memory, Learning, The Brain
- I have written a few posts on topics that stem from my interests in neuroscience, but have not directly pursued additional reading on the subject of music and the brain.
- I have written a good number of posts about my past.
- I have maintained this blog fully as well as I planned.
- 100 posts in 5 months averages out to a post every day and a half.
Unexpected but Welcome Diversions
- I am becoming quite interested in the art of violin making, the history of the instrument, and the stories of famous makers and their creations.
- I have developed an interest in the Suzuki Method, and its namesake.
I don’t want to pat my own back too hard, but this five month Musical Me check-up feels pretty good. And the best part is I’m having a blast with all of it. I’ll take another glance in the rearview mirror at the one year mark.
Thanks for reading, and welcome.
Ryan, I have been following your blog and am enjoying it very much.
Thank you Nana!
I have enjoyed it as well. 🙂 Keep at it!
I will do my best; thank you!